Do you have a Sheldon Cooper in your house?
If you’ve never watched the BIg Bang Theory on CBS (or reruns on TBS where they are all the time) … you’re missing out on life!
First of all, it’s a relatively CLEAN comedy which I love. My husband and I want ‘New Girl’ but I have to tell you, EVERY episode is about sex. So, only WE watch it and it’s not always funny. But Big Bang … geez. It’s hilarious.
I mean, freakin’ hilarious.
Take 4 incredibly smart guys … the absolute nerds of your high school, with absolutely no social skills whatsoever and add in one very, very, very pretty blonde girl who befriends them all. It seems like the most ODD matchup EVER, but it works.
The dynamics between the characters (and the actors) is tremendously charismatic and just so natural.
And remember when I said ‘clean’? Well … it is. The topics are often of a social nature and of smart things. I can’t even describe it but three PhD guys and one Masters in Engineering don’t spend all day talking about sex. They talk about themselves. And they talk about smart stuff and math and physics and chemistry. It’s almost like a show to promote education even though the characters are socially inept.
My kids LOVE it, not only because of the laugh out loud moments, but they have LEARNED stuff on Big Bang Theory. I don’t even care that the title and somewhat premise is that the earth started with a ‘big bang’ and I ascribe to the notion that God created all things, including the earth. That has no bearing on the comedy of this show.
Now here is where it starts to really sink in that this show is funny …
when you figure out that YOU have those characters in your family.
Okay, so many not the characters exactly, but … say … the character’s little traits.
- Leonard is the most outgoing of the four – the most ‘normal’. I have normal and smart in my family.
- Then there is Howard who dresses the oddest with a fascination with belt buckles (have you noticed he has a different one in every episode?). Well, in my family, we have our quirks like that. One of my daughters wears the same pants 6 of 7 days a week. Don’t ask.
- Then there is Raj … who can’t talk to girls. Penny included. He’s just a sweetheart. Reminds me of my son a little bit.
- And Penny. She’s the pretty blonde girl from across the hall. She’s the ditzy one. 😉 We all have one of ‘those’ in our family, right? In mine, this little classification goes to my ultra-smart, but a little flighty youngest daughter. 🙂 Who, by the way, can sing the entire BBT theme song.
- But it’s Sheldon who really makes the show. He’s just so … ADD and OCD and ADHD and something with the brain of Einstein. Here is where we start to have fun with the show. In our house, we have a Sheldon Cooper.
No, none of us have that IQ. Nope. We’re more on the Penny/Howard side.
BUT, we have our major quirks that really keeps us grounded to the family.
We all have our places on our couches in our family room. Yes we do. And if someone decides to sit in someone else’s place, it can make for very very tense dinner/tv watching moments. We all feel weird. Like sleeping on the wrong side of the bed. Or being the passenger in a car instead of the driver. Or using a fork to eat ice cream instead of a spoon. These are things you just don’t do.
We call these Sheldon Cooper moments.
And if someone is in someone else’s spot on the couch and said person gripes or complains about someone else being in said person’s spot then that person is automatically referred to as ‘Sheldon Cooper’ for the remainder of the night.
It’s fun and that’s the great thing about this show. It infuses humor into our OWN life.
So … do you have a Sheldon Cooper in your house? 🙂 Share in the comments!